Running a Successful Creative Agency: New Business
Read time: 2 minutes
At Function Point we’ve worked with creative firms, advertising agencies and digital agencies for the past 20 years. We help define internal processes and workflow, and in doing this we have come up with 6 personas that interact within the typical creative agency.
Helping people in the New Business role work more efficiently and effectively together will help the agency become much more profitable.
The 6 Personas
New Business (The Sales Team)
Responsible for generating sales with existing customers as well as finding and developing opportunities with new customers, usually within assigned territory.
A Typical Day
- Scheduling appointments and visiting/calling customers and prospects to review needs and determine sales opportunities
- Providing agency quotes as required, or providing pitch opportunities to the account executive team
- Opening new accounts
- Continuously updating customers and prospects on market changes and opportunities
- Attending Trade Shows and Conferences (if applicable)
- Liaising between customers and the company for up-to-date status of service, pricing and new product release launches
- Preparing reports for marketing and sales and keeping expense accounts
- Performing maintenance and updating customer accounts including contact names for future sales opportunities
- Keeping up to date on new market trends.
Typical Interactions with Function Point
- FP is used as the customer relationship management (CRM) tool for keeping track of prospects and clients or information is synced from Salesforce
- Notes are created to contacts, prospecting tasks are created for follow up and lead qualification levels are tracked within the system
- Estimates and/or creative briefs are created (when appropriate) for new opportunities
- Information entered into the system is used to report new business and projections to management.
A Perfect Day
- The sales quota is hit for the quarter, new clients are happy and the new work is now being scheduled by the Traffic Manager and handled by the Account Executive.
Top of Mind Issues
- Hitting the sales quota for the week/month/quarter
If you have any comments or think we’ve missed something from your job description, leave us a comment in the section below. We love working with our clients and prospects by helping with both the software requirements to make working together easier as well as developing efficient workflows – Function Point is here to help creatives run a profitable business!
This article was contributed by former Function Point employee, Tate Lillies.